Since 1971 Former Deputy Attorney General. Highest Rating. Client’s Choice Award 2007-2018. Over 235 FIVE STAR Client Reviews & Attorney Endorsements
Board of Behavioral Sciences
Additional Information and Forms:
- Publications & Forms
- 2018 Statutes and Regulations governing: Counseling, therapist, educational psychologist and clinical social workers
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) Requirements
- LPCC Scope of Practice
- Renewal Information
- Continuing Education Requirements
- Criminal Convictions
- 2015 BBS Disciplinary Guidelines & Substance Abuse
- BBS Advertising Guidelines
- New 2018 Title for MFT and Conselors
The California Board of Behavioral Science will deny an application for license for a conviction of a crime related to the duties and functions of a Therapist, if you have done any act of dishonesty &/or made a false statement on an application for license.
At Spital & Associates, our BBS defense lawyers protect your rights and advance your interests in an investigation or prosecution. We have over 40 years of experience as a former Deputy Attorney General and skilled defense lawyer. The BBS prosecutes cases against individuals that have a license as a Therapist if there is an allegation of any of the below grounds for denial of a license as well as one or more of the following more common grounds for disciplinary action:
- Sexual Misconduct or sexual relations by a licensed counselor or social worker with a client or within 2 years of a former client
- Abuse of Alcohol and/or Prescription Drugs by a social worker or licensed counselor
- Use of Illegal Narcotics/Substances by a licensed counselor or social worker
- Incompetence and/or Gross Negligence as a Social worker or licensed counsel
- Conviction of a Crime Substantially Related to the Practice of Marriage & Family Therapy
- Falsifying records by a licensed counselor or social worker
- Intentionally or recklessly causing emotional or physical harm to a client
- False, deceptive or misleading advertising by a social worker or licensed counselor
- Unauthorized disclosure of patient information
- Fiscal Dishonesty/Fraud/Theft by a social worker or licensed counselor
- Paying or receiving consideration for the referral of a client
- Misrepresentation as to the status of a BBS or any other professional license
- Unlicensed Practice or practicing beyond the scope of your BBS license
When a complaint has been received by the Board of Behavioral Science, it is reviewed, analyzed and then processed. Some complaints are closed because they fall outside of the jurisdiction of the BBS and/or do not involve grounds for disciplinary action (e.g. personality conflicts).
Once the complaint against a social worker or therapist is reviewed, BBS may determine the allegations are unsubstantiated. On the other hand, the Board of Behavioral Science may conclude the allegations are valid and they will decide what further action should be taken, if any. The options include:
- BBS closes the complaint against the social worker or therapist on the grounds it is without merit
- BBS closes the complaint even though it has been determined the complaint has merit
- BBS refers the matter against the social worker or therapist to the Attorney General’s Office for prosecution. The AG will seek to deny a license if you are an applicant for a license; or the AG will seek to suspend or revoke your license and impose countless terms and conditions to a probationary license, requiring you to reimburse BBS costs and investigation expenses
- You employ expert legal counsel to present a compelling and powerful defense and offense so that BBS disciplinary action is minimized, if any is taken.
- BBS handles the matter “in-house” and issues a citation, fine, private reprimand, etc.
Before discussing your Board of Behavioral Science case, whether an investigation by law enforcement and/or the Board; an inquiry from BBS; or an Accusation filed by a Deputy Attorney General; or with anyone, you should obtain the advice of an experienced California Board of Behavioral Science Defense lawyer at Spital & Associates. Ask for Sam Spital, Managing Attorney. Call now for a FREE Attorney Consultation (619) 583-0350 !